Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big brake upgrade

+3
robr33gts
charliemk1
lewey
7 posters

Go down

Big brake upgrade Empty Big brake upgrade

Post by lewey Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 am

I want a front brake upgrade that fits under a 15" wheel (20mm spaced)? They are for my T-Jet road-going track car. I currently have two options I am considering; WMS 4-pot calliper brakes with standardish 284x22mm vented discs for ~£500 and a Tarox 6-pot conversion kit with Tarox discs, etc. for ~ £1000.

Any other suggestions or recommendations? They need to be suitable for the road as well as track, so seals required. Budget is £1k, but I would like to save money if it is worth saving!
lewey
lewey
2nd gear
2nd gear

Back to top Go down

Big brake upgrade Empty Re: Big brake upgrade

Post by charliemk1 Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:51 am

I've got a pair of Punto GT ones that will save you about £950 if that's any help? lol
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by lewey Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 am

Yeah, I know what your saying, but I really do need good brakes. I use good condition Punto GT3 brakes front and rear at the moment. The car is fast and I use the brakes hard on the track. Even with race pads the callipers aren't as sharp or as progressive as I would like, particularly after a few laps. There is no "feel" at all.

I am just contemplating at the moment. I would need a strong recommendation from someone that has used a particular setup and driven them hard before I went ahead with it.
lewey
lewey
2nd gear
2nd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:54 am

would coupe brake setup fit under 15s as there 4 pots arent they? sure would save you a lot
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by lewey Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:59 am

They don't fit under 15s and are also really heavy, which kind of undermines the Superleggera wheels!

Have been giving thought to a larger master cylinder and really expensive pads and giving it another go this year. I could perhaps refit the cooling ducts to keep the disc temps down and reduce fade.
lewey
lewey
2nd gear
2nd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:30 am

ah i thought there were 16s on them but wasnt sure is there no alfa or lancia ones or anything that would b a good upgrade or like you say keeping them cooler should help a bit
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:25 am

Cant really comment much on uno specfic advice for the brakes tbh,but if it was me and i was to track my uno the first route i would proberly try is pretty much the same as what your setup proberly is.

I would try punto gt brakes,braided lines,uprated fluid and maybe try and make a brake master cylinder stopper to help improve feel a little.

Pretty basic and a good budget setup i would of though,i have done/doing simular on my gtir.

Then it comes to pads,i hate recommending stuff to people just incase they are disapointed and as mentioned i have never tryed these on an uno.

But imo i would not consider any other pads other than carbotechs,when i done a track day in my gtir i done a cheap basic upgrade to my front brakes in the form of evo 3 twin piston calipers (not brembo type just basic calipers like any other) and 280mm clio 172 discs and carbotech xp10 pads.

I was seriously amazed by them,if you can get them to fade you must be an animal,these pads just dont seem to fade infact the hotter they get the better they are.

I know its easy for me to say this and that but seriously they really are good,in a completly different league than the likes of mintex 1144/1155 or ferrodo ds2500 etc imo.

I have no direct comparison of other pads with the same setup i admit but i can almost guarentee it wernt the 20mm bigger discs that caused the vast improvement.

On the stock gtir brake setup for instance which i think is 260mmish discs with mintex 1144's i would get maybe 2 decent stops from 100mph+ before they were done,1155 maybe 3-4,on the carbotechs and clio discs it would do 20-30laps at brands doing around 115 by the end of the main straight and showed NO signs of fade all day.
Infact the only brake issues i had was the rear stock pads i was using started to break up due to much heat!

I admit under heavy braking the car was abit unstable and very arse light,but some of this was due to the tracking i suspect and that the rears pads were cooked, but also some was proberly due to the carbotechs being so bloody good.

I hate to bang on about them lol but they really did amaze me that much,before i went i was worryed about fade and was questioning how many laps i would get before they faded as like mentioned its not like i was running a set of 4 pots/track style calipers.
It was the least of my worrys on the day,i did not feel any fade, like none.

Have alook and a read on the mlr aswell for other opinions but i suspect they are pretty much the same,they really are a good pad.

From cold you could maybe say they feel slightly wooden but they still work perfectly fine imo and as mentioned more heat the better they get.
They are dusty and do tend to squel abit though if not regualey used hard and they are also proberly abit harder on the discs.
I admit i have not done millions of miles on them so can not judge pad wear but they certainly are not fast wearing imo.

For the gtir i will be looking to upgrade the rears now or even fit bigger discs to help balence it out,but this is once again mostly due to the carbotechs being so good imo.

The xp10 i think are also only in the middle of the carbotech range,they do even higher temp rated pads if needs be but i would be surprised if you would need them,even the lower temp rated xp8's on my cousin evo were just as good infact.
Carbotech will also do any design pads for you i have read,all you would need to do is send them an old set of backing plates and they would do the rest.

Although proberly expensive i would at least consider this before spending 1k on brakes.but as mentioned dont take my word for it lol but no i would advise having a good read up on the mlr,mitzy lancer register about them.
gtirx2
gtirx2

https://fiatunoturboowners.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by unot190bhp Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:58 am

iv got willwood 4pots on ma uno nd they r great and from what is seen they r resonably priced i seen a set sell for 380 quid new bargain if u ask me mabey that was a 1 off price but defo worth a look
unot190bhp
unot190bhp
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by st1allstar Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:15 pm

i've got the wms brakes on my uno they are good but i am in the process of fitting the larger punto gt servo and master cylinder

they fit behind the 15" superleggeras

Big brake upgrade P030312_1518_02
st1allstar
st1allstar
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by lewey Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 pm

I've just fit the bigger bore brake cylinder (22.2mm I think) to my Punto servo. Hoping that improves the pedal feel on the late GT callipers I have which after all were supposed to have the larger master cylinder.
lewey
lewey
2nd gear
2nd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 am

glad you joined mark, i've been asking about you a couple of times on here. Smile
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by st1allstar Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:47 am

lewey how did you fit the punto gt servo?

doody didnt even know about this forum til a couple of days ago!
st1allstar
st1allstar
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by lewey Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:00 am

A Mk1 Punto servo just fits straight on. You will probably need to adjust the bar going into it by drilling a hole in it slightly nearer the servo. All pretty obvious when you do it.
lewey
lewey
2nd gear
2nd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:12 am

st1allstar wrote:lewey how did you fit the punto gt servo?

doody didnt even know about this forum til a couple of days ago!

thought i sent you a text, i must of sent it to the wrong number. i've got so many old numbers in my phone and i never delete them lol
i've got to get myself organized.
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down