Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand Brake not working

5 posters

Go down

Hand Brake not working Empty Hand Brake not working

Post by hakydan Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:01 am

Ok so ive fitted new cables, calipers and pads, the handbrake arms move on the calipers yet still it doesnt work:(

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas to remedy?
hakydan
hakydan
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Hand Brake not working Empty Re: Hand Brake not working

Post by Chas Uno Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:34 am

Hakydan wrote:Ok so ive fitted new cables, calipers and pads, the handbrake arms move on the calipers yet still it doesnt work:(

Yes. It could be a sign that the mechanism inside the calliper has failed. I know of one occasion when despite fitting a 'new' exchange calliper, it also had this fault. Maybe try removing the calliper, get someone to operate the handbrake and see if the piston moves?
Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by hakydan Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:14 am

Chas Uno wrote:
Hakydan wrote:Ok so ive fitted new cables, calipers and pads, the handbrake arms move on the calipers yet still it doesnt work:(

Yes. It could be a sign that the mechanism inside the calliper has failed. I know of one occasion when despite fitting a 'new' exchange calliper, it also had this fault. Maybe try removing the calliper, get someone to operate the handbrake and see if the piston moves?
I thought as much, ive just taken the wheel off and got my boy to lift the hand brake while I was watching the caliper, the arm moved as the cable pulled on it but the piston didnt:(
hakydan
hakydan
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:20 am

Friend of mine has just had a recone rear caliper for an x19 replaced twice by Brake Engineering for the same fault
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by hakydan Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 am

charliemk1 wrote:Friend of mine has just had a recone rear caliper for an x19 replaced twice by Brake Engineering for the same fault
Seems like a common problem then:( Im now on my second set from AMK. Third time lucky eh.
hakydan
hakydan
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintys-turbo-mk1 Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:08 am

Ive had to replace both mine three or four time now.
Mintys-turbo-mk1
Mintys-turbo-mk1
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:53 am

I fitted a pair of 'new' rear calipers to my Uno a couple weeks ago and one didn't work on the handbrake...fixed it though by undoing the bolt that the return spring coils around, rotating the plate the cable hooks onto beyond its normal stop position beyond a 'click' point, applying the footbrake as hard as possible then returning the plate back to its normal position and putting the bolt/spring back on :-)
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by hakydan Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:49 am

jas_racing wrote:I fitted a pair of 'new' rear calipers to my Uno a couple weeks ago and one didn't work on the handbrake...fixed it though by undoing the bolt that the return spring coils around, rotating the plate the cable hooks onto beyond its normal stop position beyond a 'click' point, applying the footbrake as hard as possible then returning the plate back to its normal position and putting the bolt/spring back on :-)
Well ive got another set on the way but I think I may just give what you did a go tonight and see how I get on...Smile
hakydan
hakydan
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:20 am

Hakydan wrote:
jas_racing wrote:I fitted a pair of 'new' rear calipers to my Uno a couple weeks ago and one didn't work on the handbrake...fixed it though by undoing the bolt that the return spring coils around, rotating the plate the cable hooks onto beyond its normal stop position beyond a 'click' point, applying the footbrake as hard as possible then returning the plate back to its normal position and putting the bolt/spring back on :-)
Well ive got another set on the way but I think I may just give what you did a go tonight and see how I get on...Smile
It's worth a fiddle, difficult to explain what I did but it worked!
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by hakydan Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:07 am

Hakydan wrote:
Gave it a go, one of the springs tried to take my finger off,lol. But alas, no ball - Oh well, lets see if the next set work.
hakydan
hakydan
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down