Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade

+4
vern
Louie
robr33gts
gtirx2
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade - Page 2 Empty Re: punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade

Post by gtirx2 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 pm

I am going to a topchange anyhow so i am just going to use a stock gt clutch,i hopefully have a good gearbox from that grey car i broke.

I have also wondered about the punto gearbox,i just assume it would fit if you change the clutch arm and possibly the gear selector stuff on top of the box.
Not looked to hard tbh the gear selector stuff might be the same?

gtirx2
gtirx2

https://fiatunoturboowners.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade - Page 2 Empty Re: punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade

Post by charliemk1 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 pm

The Puntos cable change and I cant see it being rocket science to use the same set up on the Uno?
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Aparantly you can use cale change from a Brava Tjet / 500 abarth on all uno top change boxes. maybe found more FIATS??

Lewey has used one on his Tjet Uno which has the same connections as the uno top shift - much less slop I bet.

Don't forget to change the drive shafts too - I just changed the bit that bolts to the block under the altanator as that's deffo diferent. Not driven it yet so don't know how the other bits of the drive shaft will go on.
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:58 am

Ok have got this all fitted now although it has not been run yet.

All seems to have gone smoothly although i did have to grind a small part of the box to get it to fit as the clutch cover rivets were rubbing it.

The part i had to grind was the small shelf type section where you can check the engine timing and tdc on the flywheel.

I think this was only possibly needed as its a mk1 topchange and the shelf part is slightly deeper?

That is just going from pics that i have seen really as the shelf section looks smaller on the mk2 and punto gt gearboxs/bellhousings i have seen?

you can see the bit i am on about in this pic...

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade - Page 2 Topchange
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:14 am

That's a very nice clean box.. Top marks mate..
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:27 am

Its an old pic from when i was doing my other car but still looks pretty much the same now.

It cleaned up great considering what it looked like to start with,it was just mostly covered in oil though.

I think someone has been in this box before tbh as there are new sealent signs,and as above it was real clean under the muck.

If this is a good or bad thing i will find out i surpose lol

It has got a german skf diff bearing in it i think,but not knowing what comes in it orginally i cant tell if it been reconditioned or not.

This is what it looked like to start with lol...

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade - Page 2 P1030337_zps5f23c096
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:51 am

Well its all up and running now and seems fine,infact the clutch is alot softer to use than my last one.

The only thing i would watch for is as above, the shelf in the timing hole,also worth noting is the front and rear gearbox mounting brackets.
I did not notice this at first until i saw verns gearbox piccys but the top change are different.
The top change brackets postion the gearbox 10mm or so further to the left than the bottom change and are needed as the bottom change brackets put alot of strain on the engine mount and are obviosly wrong lol.

Gear ratios seem pretty much still the same,which is a little low imo,i seem to get around 115 at 6k in 5th on both boxs,does this sound about right?

Speedo maybe abit out as at lower speeds the tom tom is pretty much the same as speedo and i am sure i get close to 60 a 3k so that would equal 20mph per 1k so at 6k should be closer to 120?

God knows lol i even fiddled with one of them gear ratio calculators but cant be sure what ratios the mk1 box has?

As for top vs bottom change, well i am a big fan of the bottoms and still dont thnik the 1st to 2nd gear snatch can be beaten but overall the top feels ALOT nicer to drive.

Instead of the 2-3cms of left to right play i had on the bottom i now have 2-3mm on the top change.
The feel for the top is alot more of a mecanical feel rather than the pretty vague bottoms.

Tbf though my bottom was pretty ropey but i have used various bottoms over the years and thats just the trouble, more often than not they are ropey and worn out lol.

^^the above sentance is gearbox related lol...

The grating into a 3rd down change if you dont feel it in or having to be at a dead stop or graty 1st always seem to plague them.

So atm i am converted and am liking the top changer,i still love a bottom changer and for an all out no mecanical sympathy razz through the gears i think the bottom would possibly be a tad faster but only just.

Flat out through the gears the bottom felt more happy imo,you can sort of sence more when you are abusing the top changer where as the bottom dont feel like you are doing it as much harm, if that even makes sence lol
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:23 am

gtirx2 wrote:

Tbf though my bottom was pretty ropey but i have used various bottoms over the years and thats just the trouble, more often than not they are ropey and worn out lol.

^^the above sentance is gearbox related lol...

Big lol! 

Sounds like something Graham Norton would say! Very Happy
Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by blondechris Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:31 am

From the original question the Mk2 UT starter motor is the same as a Punto GT... My UT let me down a few weeks ago and to my delight, the spare GT starter I had in my garage was an exact fit...
blondechris
blondechris
2nd gear
2nd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by st1allstar Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:17 pm

it would seem the starter motors are all the same, mk1 mk2 and gt
st1allstar
st1allstar
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2