Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-Skid?

+2
charliemk1
Tayto.king
6 posters

Go down

Anti-Skid? Empty Anti-Skid?

Post by Tayto.king Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Looks like i've bought my first Anti-skid Uno turbo. Anyone on here know of any problems with them or anything to look out for.

Tayto.king
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Anti-Skid? Empty Re: Anti-Skid?

Post by charliemk1 Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Worse brakes than a non anti-skid.. I had one but had to rip all that crap out before the brakes would work properly
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto.king Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:14 am

charliemk1 wrote:Worse brakes than a non anti-skid.. I had one but had to rip all that crap out before the brakes would work properly

Was that because your system wasn't working properly or they're crap even when working 100%. I'll keep them on there if they work ok.

Tayto.king
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:52 am

Definitely something wrong with the one I had because the frigging thing just wouldn't stop.. Plus all them pipes look shit and you will struggle to find any parts for it
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto.king Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:11 am

Agreed the pipes look terrible in the engine bay. I think i'll leave it till it breaks as it's part of the car and i want to keep this Uno as original as possible.

Tayto.king
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 am

any pics?
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 pm

charliemk1 wrote:Plus all them pipes look shit and you will struggle to find any parts for it

As above, plus don't whatever you do take the front wheel arch liners off and look up inside. The amount of anti-skid crap stuffed in there (along with the extra weight) is unbelievable. Also, the anti-skid system only operates on the front brakes, the rears operate just the same as a standard UT. It's an archaic and primitive version of ABS, not like the system that we know in modern times.
Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto.king Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Chas Uno wrote:
charliemk1 wrote:Plus all them pipes look shit and you will struggle to find any parts for it

As above, plus don't whatever you do take the front wheel arch liners off and look up inside. The amount of anti-skid crap stuffed in there (along with the extra weight) is unbelievable. Also, the anti-skid system only operates on the front brakes, the rears operate just the same as a standard UT. It's an archaic and primitive version of ABS, not like the system that we know in modern times.

My brother drove an anti-skid back in 1990 as it came in to his work for a back panel and rear bumper,he remembers the abs system felt very basic Shocked The first uno turbo he'd ever driven.
Still i'm hoping with the low wear/mileage on the car it should still operate ok,if not it's coming off and going in a box to gather dust Smile
I'll know in a couple of weeks when it's on the road.

Tayto.king
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Antix Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:05 am

My '89 UTie Antiskid was forever at the Fiat garage in Stourbridge with Abs faults, had countless sensors checked & replaced.
The car was written-off before it was cured [ironically] - after 3 months of illuminated warning lights

Antix
1st gear
1st gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto.king Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:35 pm

I've been told by a Fiat mechanic recently that they could never get these systems working properly so they would remove them under warranty. Starting to work on my Uno again so it's the first thing i've removed:D 

Tayto.king
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by rod_dude Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:19 am

They were 'anti-skid' purely by virtue of the fact that they didn't have sufficient stopping power to lock the wheels. On my last uno which was also anti-skid AND I got it to work, I deliberately tried to lock the wheels on dry tarmac, but could pretty much push my foot through the bulkhead and still wouldn't lock. I had though it a defect with that car rather than the anti-skid system, otherwise I might have had second thoughts about getting another one... who am I kidding, of course I would. Though the badge should be redone as skid-promoter because you near shit yourself when you have to break in a hurry.
rod_dude
rod_dude
3rd gear
3rd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto.king Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:37 pm

I've disconnected the anti-skid on my car like the Fiat mechanic told me to and i've changed the brake fluid which came out like chocolate milkshake and although the brakes are a lot better they're still not up to a great standard. My discs and pads are like new too.
It's true I think Fiat's "anti-skid" program at the time was half the braking effort to the front wheels so they wouldn't lock up Shocked 

Tayto.king
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down