Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade

+4
vern
Louie
robr33gts
gtirx2
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade Empty punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade

Post by gtirx2 Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:51 am

Has anyone actually done this? and does it definatally still work ok with the mk1 uno flywheel sensor?

Also are the starter motors the same between the gt and unos?
gtirx2
gtirx2

https://fiatunoturboowners.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade Empty Re: punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade

Post by robr33gts Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:17 am

dont know about this mate but i think it may only work with a top change box not sure about the sensor or starter motor sure some on here have done it or know
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:29 am

Yeah thanks mate,yeah i will be swapping to a top change at the same time.

My bottom change is pretty ropey anyway and jumps out of reverse lol

Never used a top change yet but cant help but think that i may miss my bottom change,sure there crunchy and sloppy but i have always liked them.
You also seem to be able to do lightening fast gear changes with the bottom changer,well thats when the clutch can take it lol

I also hope the ratios are not to different,although i would like a longer 5th.
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:08 pm

I remember someone saying the topshift box is a more lossey gearbox, but they'd never finished a race on a bottom shift.

The ring gear on MK1 bottom, top and MK2 fly wheels have the same number of teeth so the GT flywheel should work with bottom shift if it fits in the bell housing.

Not sure why the starter motor pinion has a different number of teeth, but I think I used my bottom shift starter with top shift flywheel for my conversion.

Think the input shaft on the bottom shift box will be the show stopper as it has a different number of teeth, so the driven plate of the GT clutch kit won't fit.

If you can find a compatible clutch kit for bottom shift you may be on to a winner, but will the box take the extra pressure that the larger flywheel will transfer to the box?
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by vern Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:35 pm

So would a punto gt flywheel and clutch kit bolt straight into the mk2 uno?
vern
vern

Back to top Go down

Post by st1allstar Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:34 pm

punto gt box has longer ratios than the mk1 box, use the mk1 starter motor gtirx2, dont know if the flywheel sensor works though
st1allstar
st1allstar
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:15 am

Yeah thanks louie,i have always just assummed that the gt flywheel would not fit in the bottom change housing,but you are right the input shaft splines also put a stopper on getting it to fit easyly in bottom change.

looking at some pics i have recentally got the flywheels could all be the same size and possibly its just the friction face that is larger on the gt.

I do have 2 slightly different style flywheels that have came out of mk1's though,one has more rounded edges and i think that style possibly came out of the mk1 top changes,they are the same size though i think.

As far as i know mk1 is 190mm mk2 is 200mm and gt is 215mm.

I think i can recall someone one on tc with a mk2 saying he was running a gt flywheel/clutch setup,cant remember for the life of me who it was though.

Yeah thanks allstar atleast thats one less thing to worry about,just the sensor to figure out now.

Does any one know if the punto uses a flywheel sensor?

I am half comminted now anyway lol as i have just brought a gt flywheel,the sensor worrys me as i am still not sure where it reads from on the flywheel.
Possibly from the small scollops on the side of the flywheel which i am unsure if the gt has?
I do know my car wont start with it unplugged though..

Advanti also used to bang on about the punto gt upgrade on the unos so i am hoping it should not be to hard to get working.

gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by st1allstar Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:52 am

there is no sensor on the punto gt gearbox, iirc they have a blanking plate covering the hole
st1allstar
st1allstar
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks mate,yeah i have had a quick look at my mk1 flywheels and by a rough pic of a punto one, and i think its most proberble that 4 scollops will need maching into the flywheel in the correct place and a re balence and the sensor clearence resetting.

Last edited by gtirx2 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:46 am

There was a time I had both MK1 flywheels and a MK2 on my garage floor at the same time.

The MK2 flywheel is almost the same as the MK1 topshift as far as I noticed. All I spotted was the lack of machined step towards the ring gear on the driven plate side. It's flat to accommodate the larger driven plate.

If only I'd realized sooner that the MK2 box can so easily be converted to cable clutch I'd have used it for my bottom shift conversion.
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:50 am

gtirx2 wrote:well i have had a quick look at my mk1 flywheels and by a rough pic of a punto one, and i think its most proberble that 4 scollops will need maching into the flywheel in the correct place and a re balence and the sensor clearence resetting.

But if your going for GT ECU, why bother? Guess it's all at the pulley end - seem to remember Leigh and mark talking about having something from the GT crank pulley machined on to the MK1 pulley to give single V belt pulley for alternator and something for GT engine management - would that be a timing ring?
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:34 am

I am not going punto gt ecu,i have hillbillyed mine with the gt injectors and fuel pressure and afm tweaks Laughing
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:40 am

Louie wrote:There was a time I had both MK1 flywheels and a MK2 on my garage floor at the same time.

The MK2 flywheel is almost the same as the MK1 topshift as far as I noticed. All I spotted was the lack of machined step towards the ring gear on the driven plate side. It's flat to accommodate the larger driven plate.

If only I'd realized sooner that the MK2 box can so easily be converted to cable clutch I'd have used it for my bottom shift conversion.

This is the type i assume is stock mk1 bottom change, and the other ones i have have more rounded edges and i think came from mk1 top change cars?

If you look close you can see the scollops which i assume must be for the flywheel sensor?

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade Flywheel
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:30 am

Na - it's a ring gear sensor - Just reeds the teeth to give engine speed.

The sensor on the crank pulley is for TDC, and reads 1 lump behind the pulley.

For other setups with a dedicated timing ting, TDC is referenced by a double or missing tooth, but starter motors tend to not like missing or double teeth, hence 2 sensors for the UT.

remove the sensor from the box and check what it's pointing at if youve had it off before. If not remove it with the gear box off the car if you want to re use it - you'll be able to push it upwards and not brake it.

Back to them scollops - Do you mean them dips?

Hers the flywheel I'm using - swapped it from a bottom shift flywheel - think it's a MK1 topshift - can't remember which I used

punto gt flywheel clutch upgrade Box2
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:50 am

I hope your right mate it would save me a whole load of hassle,i was just unsure why my car dont start with it disconnected,but i surpose it does need a rpm input of some sort.

I just assumed the scollops/dips where to do with it as there on both the flywheels i have.
I also read something in the red haynes that i think was on about 5 pegs or something,even though i think there is only 4 dips,god knows lol.

I will have to check first like you say to see what it lines up with before i do anything to drastic.

I could also have the flywheels the wrong way from the top and bottom shift,yours looks the same as mine and i have a few of these and just assumed there bottom changes as i also got given a few bottom change boxs at the same time.

The grey car i had with top change had a fly wheel this shape i think but with the dips...

http://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/216652-wojs-turbo-project-2.html
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:58 am

Argh you could well be right mate,i think i was reading the digiplex with the 5 pins and i think that uses one sensor for both tdc and speed on the flywheel Embarassed

The microplex speed sensor on the flywheel does indeed look above the teeth on the drawings,fingers crossed Smile
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am

The auto data manual talks about checking air gap between RPM sensor and fly wheel teeth.

That is for both Digiplex and Microplex, but has a nice 2d line drawing of microplex checking air gap for RPM and TDC sensors.

Get your self a copy - a must for any MK1 owner as it's written after the introduction of the Turbo and before the MK2 so no checking between chapters and appendix, no 1372 stuff to muddy the waters...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=uno+autodata&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 am

Louie's correct, because when you do the conversion on the X19 box- the speed sensor has to be 0.4-1mm above the flywheel ring gear
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks Charlie.

Count the teeth on the GT ring gear - they need to be the same as the ring gears from the 3 uno flywheels - no I can't remember how many, but they were the same after a couple or recounts.

It helps if you mark the fits tooth you count with tippex, and remember you already counted it Embarassed
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 am

Well thats a load of my mind,thanks guys Smile

Should hopefully be a simple straight swap then,happy days!

Thanks for the link btw Cool
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 am

Not if you have to try and fit an Uno ring gear to a GT flywheel
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 am

Louie wrote:Not if you have to try and fit an Uno ring gear to a GT flywheel

Funny you should say that as i was just thinking the same,so....

I have just zoomed in and counted the teeth on a pic of my flywheel and the pics of the punto gt flywheels i was sent today and luckerly they both count 122 Very Happy Laughing
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:03 pm

should run if you can fit the flywheel in the bellhousing and keep the sensor air gap.

You just need to sus a clutch kit to get it working with the bottom shift box - Anything from the twin cam lineup suitable for that input shaft? Sporting Fiat Club Martin would know, or know someone who knows.

Don't think Matt is on here yet - I've facebooked him to ask his dad / have a look here.
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:16 pm

The Regata has the same 17 spline input shaft and larger drive plate.
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Has anyone fitted the GT box in the Uno?. With the lack of good Uno boxes on the go, I think it would be a good move and saves all the pissing about with that 17 spline shaft
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next