Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mk 2 timing issue

2 posters

Go down

mk 2 timing issue Empty mk 2 timing issue

Post by deltadeano Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:54 am

Hi guy's got a big issue hope some can help.
I replaced my cam a couple of weeks ago and now the car won't run at all. I thought I might have bent a valve so I stripped the head down checked all the valves everything was fine.
Luckily the head gasket was not far from going so got that early. Had the head skimmed while I was at it and lapped up all the valves and checked all shim gaps.
Refitted everything and still the same problem. Decided to change the crank sensor which should be here on Thursday 13/03/14.
My question is when i'm timed up with the bottom crank and top cam where should the rotory arm be pointing.
Should it be at plug 1 lead with pistons up at 1 and 4 cylinders. I am thinking I might have accidently move the oil pump/rotory arm when I took the belt off. It does sound like a timing issue. It is sparking and I do have fuel but I am struggling a bit to get the bugger running.
Thanks for any input guys. Deano.
deltadeano
deltadeano
3rd gear
3rd gear

Back to top Go down

mk 2 timing issue Empty Re: mk 2 timing issue

Post by richvans Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:16 am

The rotor arm should point towards a small slot on the dissy casing when the engine is at TDC

Just put my engine back together with a piper cam so had to set this up also, fired straight up, still running it in though!
richvans
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by deltadeano Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:24 am

Is that the slot at say 1 o'clock or there abouts when I get my new crank sensor I will try that cheers. The old sensor was very old and brittle and had a burn in the cable. Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated thanks.  Cool 
deltadeano
deltadeano
3rd gear
3rd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by richvans Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 am

its a small slot, not the bigger one used for positioning the dizzy cap
richvans
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by deltadeano Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks Rich I have set it to that tried again with old tdc sensor and still no joy but I have had a look at the relays that are next to the coil and they don't seem right. Am I right in saying ones for the fuel pump and the other for injectors cause I think one is knackered. I am deffo getting good spark and fuel cause my plugs are wet. I am seriously missing something here. I will have to wait for the new sensor but if that don't work I don't know what it could be  Crying or Very sad 
deltadeano
deltadeano
3rd gear
3rd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by richvans Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:53 am

Yeah i think both relays are the same, you should hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on ignition

Its prob something simple, i labelled all my sensor connections this time, i know once before i got the 2 near the gearbox plugged in each others sockets, which had a similar no fire outcome!

Might be worth checking the colours on the cables with the wiring diagram

I've got about 2 cars worth of spares! bloody handy / essential to keep these old cars going!

Was it running fine before you stripped it down?

richvans
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by deltadeano Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 am

Yes car was fine but very tappet due to one of the cam lobes being very pointy lol. The fuel pump primes I have opened up the relays and sprayed them with WD40 swapped them about and now they both prime so hopefully they might be ok now but im not sure. Looks like it might be the TDC sensor I hope.
deltadeano
deltadeano
3rd gear
3rd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by deltadeano Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:04 am

Update and don't laugh. Turns out I had the number 2 & 3 ht leads the wrong way round and also I had run out of fuel due to my fuel warning bulb had blown (bloody thing) thinking I had loads in. Anyway took car for a good run yesterday and all is fine. lessons learnt if you have problems starting first start by removing hose from bottom of fuel tank. I'm a NOB.
deltadeano
deltadeano
3rd gear
3rd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by richvans Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:44 am

Good stuff! glad it was something basic!
richvans
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by deltadeano Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:10 am

Cheers Rich thanks for your input anyway.  notworthy 
deltadeano
deltadeano
3rd gear
3rd gear