Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head Off Pics!

2 posters

Go down

Head Off Pics! Empty Head Off Pics!

Post by richvans Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 am

Had some serious over heating at the last trackday at Brands with loads of steam pissing out the catch tank, also some mustard in the catch tank, so suspect Head gasket failure.

Got the head off today, didn't look as bad as expected but i suspect water may have been leaking into cylinders 2 and 3 between them as the metal is discoloured in this area

Could it be a warped head? or could the major problem be elsewhere? or is this just head gasket giving up slowly? Be interested to see what anyone else makes of it?
Head Off Pics! Img_5010

Head Off Pics! IMG_5027_zps3bb65cc0

Head Off Pics! IMG_5033_zpsc314e2fc

The heads a bit shagged anyway as did a little test i saw on Wheeler Dealers LOL, the far right chamber pissed out the white spirit, there's a little crack in between the valves, although they all seem to have small cracks, as does my spare head

Head Off Pics! IMG_5035_zps43bbd46c
richvans
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Head Off Pics! Empty Re: Head Off Pics!

Post by st1allstar Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:00 am

small cracks between the valves is fine
st1allstar
st1allstar
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by richvans Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:24 am

Yeah might be the seats making it leak not the cracks, i've got another head that looks better but its had more skims

Had a look at the bores today in daylight, theres a lip you can feel with your finger nail and the pistons are pretty mucky with caked oil on the top. So started to take the whole lot out.

I've got another block that has less wear, but also have the 1500 X19 block, if i can find some 87mm pistons might have a go at using that
richvans
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down