Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

citroen ax gti

4 posters

Go down

citroen ax gti Empty citroen ax gti

Post by doody Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:06 pm

does anyone no of one for sale that's not stripped out like the one on ebay.
these cars seem to be really hard to find even more so than the uno

i'm looking for the ax or the tipo 16v
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

citroen ax gti Empty Re: citroen ax gti

Post by Chas Uno Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:59 pm

doody wrote:does anyone no of one for sale that's not stripped out like the one on ebay.
these cars seem to be really hard to find even more so than the uno

i'm looking for the ax or the tipo 16v

I had an AX GT5 (5 door version of the AX GT) a few years back. The build quality was shocking, which probably explains why so few are left. In fact the build is so bad it makes a Uno feel like an 80's VW! Mine was a 2 owner well maintained example, yet by 12 years old and 70K miles the thing was falling apart around me. And it was rusting badly underneath.

When it was running it went like stink and handled amazingly for its size. Shame they were so poorly built.
Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 pm

the gti was much better screwed together but it still wasn't up to the uno standard.
when my mum had one from nearly new it was an awesome car.

the handling was as you say amazing, it would run circles around my uno turbo.

people keep telling me to buy the gt not the gti but i know from experience that the gti is a better car to live with so not really interested in the gt.

from memory i think they did a gt with leather seats though (unless it was an owner that re-trimmed them)
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:26 am

doody wrote:the gti was much better screwed together but it still wasn't up to the uno standard.
when my mum had one from nearly new it was an awesome car.

the handling was as you say amazing, it would run circles around my uno turbo.

people keep telling me to buy the gt not the gti but i know from experience that the gti is a better car to live with so not really interested in the gt.

from memory i think they did a gt with leather seats though (unless it was an owner that re-trimmed them)

Yes, you are right, the GTi version of the AX was better put together than the GT (especially the interior), though it was still the same basic design with similar flaws and rust traps. It's a little like comparing the mk1 and mk2 Unos!

The GTi makes a good base for a Saxo VTR/ VTS conversion having the fuel injection system already in place, and I think the clocks may even have been shared with the Saxo/ 106? The GT was marginally lighter, which is why some may prefer it over the GTi. Mind you, they were very light cars in the first place, which gave them an excellent power to weight ratio.

They did do a GT with leather seats (might have been part leather, I forget). That would be the limited edition 'GT500' version. Those are rare as fook now, as are almost any tidy examples of all the GT's/ GTi's. A shame, as despite the poor build quality, they were built just prior to the industry dumping air bags, ABS, traction control, 'safey' bollox etc. on every vehicle in sight. As such you get a car that is exceptionally light making every bhp count, and they feel raw and responsive to drive. Similar to the more powerful Unos!

If I didn't have 3 x Unos I might be interested in getting another AX GT, though I'd make sure that I also invested in a welder...!

Attached some pics of my old AX GT5.

citroen ax gti Dscf0010

citroen ax gti Dscf0011

citroen ax gti Dscf0012
Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:43 am

theres a gt here mate they want a lot for it tho but only 53 thou on the clock one owner looks mint

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C399155
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:47 am

robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:54 am

or you could try the ax forum mate theres lots of bits on there when i had a quick look including leather interior in the for sale section but as mentioned the gti seems really rare

http://www.axoc.co.uk/phpBB3/
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:41 am

that's a very nice ax chas mate

rob mate i've seen those ax's the £800 one looks ok but i really want the gti one and that other one for £6k Shocked Laughing lol!

i joined that ax site a few days back but as of yet i haven't posted on it
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Here's a genuine AX GTi come up for sale Doody. Just asking for a VTS engine conversion!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-AX-GTi-/231020093594?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35c9dee09a
Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 am

Chas Uno wrote:Here's a genuine AX GTi come up for sale Doody. Just asking for a VTS engine conversion!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-AX-GTi-/231020093594?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35c9dee09a

cheers mate, might be a bit to much to take on at the min with doing my uno up, however i've sent him a message to get a post code to see how much i can get delivery for via that shiply site but at 270 miles i'm guessing it's going to smart a bit.
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:55 am

you mention either a ax or tipo 16v theres a tipo Sedicivalvole here mate and a couple more tipos on ebay more money than this one tho
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-L-Fiat-Tipo-2-0-16V-ie-Sedicivalvole-3-Door-/231020064712?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35c9de6fc8
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 pm

yeah that gt is really nice but i've ended up buying this, god knows why lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271243648332?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 pm

doody wrote:yeah that gt is really nice but i've ended up buying this, god knows why lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271243648332?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Looks like a nice little bargain there! It also looks like the Schumacher edition? Just asking for a 1242 conversion! Twisted Evil 
Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 am

Chas Uno wrote:
doody wrote:yeah that gt is really nice but i've ended up buying this, god knows why lol

Looks like a nice little bargain there! It also looks like the Schumacher edition? Just asking for a 1242 conversion! Twisted Evil 

thanks but looks seam to be deceptive in this case. this is why it's always a good idea to view before buying on ebay.
even before the delivery driver set off i could see the pictures were either from a long time ago or had be doctored.
it is still a good looking little car and to be honest hasn't cost a lot of money. however this is what i noticed when it turned up...
-both side skirts scratched badly and look to be painted with spray cans in the dark.
-all wheels have lost their lacquer.

then after digging around i found out this
-the engine overheats to the point that the expansion bottle got very hot and swollen and has actually just split. the guy did fit a new rad so i'm hoping it's got an air leak or blockage.
-but the worst part is the rear brakes are pretty much seized, only some complete knob has removed the normal fiat wheel bolts and welded in some (what look like ford ones) with the nut type thing.
i've spent hours trying to pull these off with no success so going to the scrappy and going to get rear arms etc and replace the lot.

i'm a bit pissed off with it though as it was going to be a cheap run about till uno's back on the road then sell it. this plan is slowly turning to crap as the money i'm having to spend on it is turning into an expensive little banger.

as for the modding i'd love to stick an uno turbo or punto gt engine in, would make a fun little car.
on a plus side that full length fabric sunroof is awesome and winds all the way to the back at the touch of a button, apparently near £1,000 to have one fitted.
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto.king Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Had one of these years ago with a Janspeed exhaust on it, cool little car. Rear trailing arm bushes go on these, rear engine/gearbox mounts, and sadly head gaskets too at nearly bang on 50k. Easy car to work on though and parts are dirt cheap. I think i was getting 50mpg out of it too.
Always wanted to do a 1250 8v conversion on one but never got around to it.

Owned 3 tipo sedicivalvoles too as did my brother and a few friends. If you buy a tipo get the early 5 door as the cams are hotter than the 3 door and you'll notice the difference. Had a BMC F1 filter and de-cat pipe on my silver 5 door and it flew Cool 

Tayto.king
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Tayto.king wrote:

Had one of these years ago with a Janspeed exhaust on it, cool little car. Rear trailing arm bushes go on these, rear engine/gearbox mounts, and sadly head gaskets too at nearly bang on 50k. Easy car to work on though and parts are dirt cheap. I think i was getting 50mpg out of it too.
Always wanted to do a 1250 8v conversion on one but never got around to it.

Owned 3 tipo sedicivalvoles too as did my brother and a few friends. If you buy a tipo get the early 5 door as the cams are hotter than the 3 door and you'll notice the difference. Had a BMC F1 filter and de-cat pipe on my silver 5 door and it flew Cool 

thanks mate it does look a nice little car. just insured it and it's costing more than my uno, how the hell does that work, the car is sooooooooo slow.
i've had a few tipo 16v's, all been the 5 door purely because they are quicker and i like the front end better. if i had the 3 door i would of just put a coupe turbo engine in but i'm only really looking for the 5 door. Very Happy 

that said i'm not really looking any more as i got the little seicento temporarily, not sure if i'm going to keep it though. i had one of these little seicento's when they were new, a black v reg one which from memory drove much better than this one does. i don't know why it feels as it does maybe more worn on the steering side i'll have to have a look.

i'm wanting to concentrate on the uno but i've bought this seicento and i have to fiddle with it more than i wanted to. Mad 
going to have to start a project thread on this as well as the uno at this rate. pale
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum