Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mk2 gear box clutch release arm removal

2 posters

Go down

Mk2 gear box clutch release arm removal Empty Mk2 gear box clutch release arm removal

Post by vern Tue May 28, 2013 7:52 am

So after removing my gear box to change the clutch it appears the clutch lever/arm is incredibly stiff ie can only move it by using a hammer to tap it back and forth, was like this when i bought the car hence the clutch issues.

I take its probably seized so will require removing and cleaning up?

How does it come out, i removed the top cir-clip and tried to tap it out but no joy?

Mk2 gear box clutch release arm removal 6DF1C230-4316-419F-AEBF-C1C449EF29F8-5309-0000059D59E8A26D_zpsb09f8045

The nut to left of the shaft holds the casing onto the gear side of the box so this isnt a clue to its removal either.
Mk2 gear box clutch release arm removal BA2CB075-4DA5-4137-891D-90609D8F499D-5309-0000059D6170DCF9_zpsb83f16eb
vern
vern

Back to top Go down

Mk2 gear box clutch release arm removal Empty Re: Mk2 gear box clutch release arm removal

Post by Unograle Wed May 29, 2013 9:22 am

You need a puller on that Matt, but having said that, it looks from the angle of the pic you have little to no step to get a purchase on the arm. One trick is to use some heat on it but on one spot only, and keeping the flame away from the spline with the arm supported with something to tease it off and give the end of the spline some short sharp taps with a hammer.

The old trick of swabbing the arm in cotton wool and left soaked in vinegar overnight may just get you out the shit, like i mentioned before with your last rust problem you had. You may need oxy/acetylene on it though to put real heat into it as, i recently have to do this but until the cast arm was transparent with the amount of heat put in, only then the three legged puller i got on it started to do its work but even then, it was hard going winding the puller with a ratchet on the end !! Mad

Last edited by Unograle on Fri May 31, 2013 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : It's all about the vinegar !)
Unograle
Unograle

Back to top Go down