Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mk1 uno turbo how it started

+4
FRO$TY
vern
robr33gts
gtirx2
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mk1 uno turbo how it started - Page 2 Empty Re: Mk1 uno turbo how it started

Post by gtirx2 Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 am

Yeah never tryed cellulose just 2k and synthetic,synthetic runs like a bastard though and takes for ever to dry.

Tbh i am resonably confident with the 2k overall,bodyfiller and being happy with the prep before paint though is another thing.

I have tryed so hard with the filler in the past,i just seem to have no feel for it,and have trouble telling what is high and what is low.
I will go around and around in circles fillering then sanding to much out Laughing

I spent hours once on one small patch and thought it was spot on,one touch from my cousin that used to do bodywork though and he like no its low :lol:he was right aswell when he is showing me where to feel Neutral

I think he tends to leave it slightly high, then we was at the stage of heaverly priming it and guide coating it,then was going to level it all up then prime/guide it again.

I did not want to touch it at this stage as i know i would sand to much out Laughing
If i had a tiny bit of confidence it would help, but out of all the things i have ever done bodyfiller is by far the hardest for me to pick up.
Normally at the worst if you go slowly and have patience and time you will succeed,but i have tryed that and still cant pick it up Evil or Very Mad ,i just cant feel the highs and lows.

Maybe its me being to fussy and it would proberly look ok when painted,but then it comes back to the confidence thing and when i am not confident to if it will be ok or not it just does my head in Laughing

gtirx2
gtirx2

https://fiatunoturboowners.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:03 am

doody wrote:crikey i'm totally the opposite, i'd quite happily take mine to a garage.
i hate doing the messy job's

Haha i dont blame you mate,i dont know maybe its just a trust thing with me or its because i have a resonable idea of whats involved and would not be able to swallow the bill Laughing

To be fair though things can go tits up very quick when working on cars,part of the reason i am also not really interested in working on cars other than my own.
All it takes is one snapped stud or seized bolt and you can be there forever and be in a whole host of troubles.
Even something as silly as a spark plug change can turn ugly very quickly,like i say it happens but if something like this happened to my car then was told its going to cost xxx amount to fix i am not sure if i would be happy with it thinking i could of possibly done it myself ,faster,better,cheaper etc even if this was not the case.
But then on the other hand if i had troubles with a stud or something stupid on someone elses car i end up being the one worst off,as i would feel to guilty to say "well this broke that was seize and its going to cost xxx amount to put right sorry",i end up sorting it off my own back and would be there ages putting it right.

I just like sticking to my own cars,there more than enough trouble for me Laughing
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 am

thats just how i feel mate plus with my first car a fiat panda when i didnt really know what i was doin took my car to a garage for a service and other stuff got the car back running worse than it did and they hadnt changed half the stuff they was supposed to in the service never trusted garages after that and learnt how to do everything myself never used a garage since
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:27 am

Yeah i know what you mean,seen plenty of issues form garages over the years,even main dealers leaving clips out etc and just generally doing a crap job lol.

I am not saying i am perfect and have made more than my fair share of mistakes,but at least i know my mistakes are honest ones Laughing

The only time i am going to have to trust someone else is if/when i ever get the gtir mapped,i have confidence in the mapper but even so it will be a stressfull experiance i am sure.
Have even thought about learning how to map, but the costs and risks involved puts me off.
gtirx2
gtirx2

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 am

we all make mistakes now and then mate were only human after all but when your paying average £30 a hour you expect a better job than a lot of garages i seen do and heard some real shocking stories i used to b a tyre fitter and i used to b really carefull with peoples cars took pride in my work but dreaded ever scratching a wheel or snaping a bolt or something scratched a wheel once low profiles are a real pain in the arse sometimes and this one was that tight it pulled the machine down and scraped the wheel felt guilty for ages and offered to pay for the wheel to b refurbed but luckily they were fine about it so i know what you mean when you say about working on other peoples cars
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by richvans Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 am

Haha, yeah i hate paying other people to do stuff, all i think of is what tools i could have bought with the money!

Trial and error, usually a few errors but usually get there in the end

Mapping i can see you need a fair bit of experience, you could get megasquirt then have a go yourself, although if you cock that up and melt your engine then it would be pretty expensive error!
richvans
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunc Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:58 am

blast from the past but.....what ever happened to this?

Dunc
Dunc
Dunc
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2