Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seat rails

4 posters

Go down

Seat rails Empty Seat rails

Post by Caspian Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm

So the project began this weekend with stripping the interior out to get a good idea of the state of the floor pan. Problem one was the seat runners which have been butchered. It explained why the seat was difficult move, the last 3 inches of the seat rails have been opened out, meaning i could not get the seats back. Had to use a lump hammer to get the runners out the rails. Now i either have to spend hours trying to reshape the rails or try and source some replacements from a scrapper.

On the plus side the floor pan is not as bad as i was thinking, looks like i might just need two small plates close to the sills, and for some of the previous welding to be finished off!!!

Matt

Caspian
2nd gear
2nd gear

Back to top Go down

Seat rails Empty Re: Seat rails

Post by Louie Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:10 am

Not sure if bending them back would be a safe option... last thing you want is a fatigued seat runner should the worst happen.
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:07 am

Louie wrote:Not sure if bending them back would be a safe option... last thing you want is a fatigued seat runner should the worst happen.

I understand your concern, and agree that bending the metal will cause fatigue. However, should the worst happen it's the seatbelt (and its anchor points) that is designed to restrain and save you. Wink
Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 am

but... seat belt clamps into the seat, which fixes to the floor by them runners.

Sorry was watching A Great British Air Disaster on channel4.com earlier tonight - how the metal cracked between windows.

.. didn't get to see the end the other day as the little en was sick..
Louie
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:39 am

Embarassed

Ah, yes, you are right Louie. I was working on my '74 Cortina the other week and the seat belts on those clamp into the holders that are bolted to the floor. That's my excuse anyway for getting them mixed up.

Embarassed
Chas Uno
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:32 pm

I cant see what you guys are worrying about,if you crash at much over 30 in one of these you will be luckey to walk away,maybe an injector seat is whats needed? Laughing

Not to sure on your runners mate,i assume you did bend back the small metal tangs at the back ends of the runners before trying to get the seats out?

Sounds like its to late for this anyhow,depends how bent they are,but is maybe worth putting up a wanted ad on here and maybe the fiatforum.
gtirx2
gtirx2

https://fiatunoturboowners.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspian Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for the replies guys, i think the seat rails are replacements as the previous owner had made the curious decision to fit bucket seats. It is only the top lip at the back which has been bent up. Will give it a try at reshaping. Got the floor to sort first. i have started writing a commentary which i will get up once i get over the shock of gutting out the rusty floor!! Shocked

Caspian
2nd gear
2nd gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down