Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mk1 Minter

+18
smigz
UJA
Miq
unot190bhp
Biz
Dunc
classic car lover
Chas Uno
Mintys-turbo-mk1
Big Steve Raider
doody
richvans
charliemk1
gtirx2
Unograle
hakydan
robr33gts
vern
22 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 Empty Re: Mk1 Minter

Post by jas_racing Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:12 am

So, with all the efforts over Easter weekend I spent an evening or two installing the remaining parts in the engine bay, connecting up all the electrical gubbins, etc.

The Scorpion stainless down-pipe came with the car and was brand spanker but...didn't fit properly!  Not only were the holes in the flange misaligned with those on the turbo elbow but even when that was sorted (courtesy of a Dremel) the whole thing appeared to be over-bent, such that it touched the sub-frame on the way down and floor pan where it met the exhaust centre section.  The only option was to heat and bend it so a quick session with the acetylene torch and a long bar one lunchtime at work and it was sorted Smile

(all the below this weekend just gone)

Fitted:
Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2846_zpsd07861a0
Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2847_zps16bc9390

It's still only a few mm from the sub-frame but it should be ok.

Remaining parts fitted in engine bay:
Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2855_zpsd516b943
Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2856_zpsd3e00964
Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2857_zps50a50780

Then it was time to fill her with coolant...I poured in a litre, checked underneath, no leaks.  Poured in another litre, still no leaks...poured in the rest (4 or 5 litres) but heard a dribbling sound from under the engine.  I quickly jacked her up and scooted under there with a torch in hand to find two little streams of coolant squirting out of one of the metal coolant pipes on the turbo.  Given that it was a refurbed to good-as-new turbo I was rather surprised!  I guess I should've looked it over in more detail before I fitted it.  Draining the coolant and whipping off the pipe in question revealed the culprits:

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2864_zpsf9632677
Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2865_zpsf4f15f96

Looks like the original pipe was just shot-blasted/cleaned up but not looked at too closely by whoever refurbed the turbo.

Thankfully I still had the original turbo from this engine with the pipe and it's in pinhole free condition so a quick rub-down and POR-15 application later it was ready to fit:
Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2861_zps4e09bc67

Filled the coolant system again and no leaks Smile

After this I ran the oil pump via an old cambelt around my cordless drill to check it built oil pressure...which it did very nicely so I put the new cambelt back on and cranked the engine on the key but with the fuel pump disconnected and the spark plugs removed.  Again the oil pressure built up quick, knocking the warning light out on the dash almost instantly and showing 3 bar ish on the pressure gauge...however, walking back around the front of the car I saw some drips of oil from under the front bumper :(I knew I was taking a chance using a s/h oil cooler and indeed it's bitten me in the bum!  Not the end of the world though, I've already sourced a 9-row universal oil cooler and will fit that instead with modified mountings and adapters to convert the connections from AN -10 to 1/2" BSP (given the cost of the pipes I had refreshed I really don't want to have to ditch them barely a fortnight later).

This left me with the fuel system to check & prime, so I bunged in a few litres of Shell's finest V-Power into the tank (felt good to be putting fuel in her for the first time Smile), disabled the starter motor and ran the fuel pump with the ignition key in the 'start' position...all seemed good until I heard a funny noise from under the bonnet.  A quick check revealed a leak from the connection between the fuel rail and the FPR valve.  Further investigation revealed that the pipe has cracked right near the bulbous ferrule so it's a goner.  Unfortunately then I had to call it a day there without being able to attempt a fire-up, but I did finish off the weekend by fitting the front strut brace (which needed work with the Dremel to fit properly as the bolt hole pattern wasn't quite right).

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2858_zpsdd71c52c

So, I've sorted the coolant leak, the oil leak is in process but the fuel leak needs a replacement fuel rail so will take longer to sort...but I'm pleased I'm very close to completion and the engine builds good oil pressure.  Nerve-wracking stuff getting an engine ready to go after being dormant for 15 years!

Last edited by jas_racing on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:59 am

looks great in there mate shame to hear about the leaks after all your work but i suppose theres allways some sort of teething problems when things are fully restored
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Steve Raider Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:31 am

Winnity Win!
Big Steve Raider
Big Steve Raider
1st gear
1st gear

http://www.rtoc.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintys-turbo-mk1 Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Top work, Don't you just hate the teething problems.
Mintys-turbo-mk1
Mintys-turbo-mk1
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Thu May 01, 2014 7:34 am

Mintys-turbo-mk1 wrote:Don't you just hate the teething problems.

Yep! Mad It initially made me feel like I've done something wrong or perhaps not done it to a high enough standard but I now realise it's inevitable that there are problems likely to occur given how long it was all in bits?!
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Fri May 02, 2014 12:13 am

jas_racing wrote:
gtirx2 wrote:Are you certain that forge bov is plumbed in the correct way around though?

Possibly not! I'll double check it...

Confused.com about this - I've installed the Forge unit in the same orientation as the OE Bosch unit as far as I can tell from eper (admittedly on a mk2) yet looking at pictures of atmospheric aftermarket DV's installed on mk1's it would suggest I've got it the wrong way around?! The only hint I can get from Forge's website is installation instructions for fitting the same DV to an Audi TT and it says it can be installed in either orientation...I guess it doesn't matter on a recirculating DV as long as it's providing an air path between either side of the compressor wheel??
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Sat May 03, 2014 10:18 pm

***HOT OFF THE PRESS!!!***

She runs!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunc Sat May 03, 2014 11:57 pm

Awesome!!!!

Whats left on the 'to do' list?

Dunc
Dunc
Dunc
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Sun May 04, 2014 12:33 am

sweet cant be much left for you to do now is there
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Wed May 07, 2014 12:57 am

No, the end is in sight Smile

Main items on the To-Do list now are:

1) Wheel refurb
2) Front seat re-cover
3) Sort roof lining

There are a number of minor things too though - setting the idle speed, making a proper bracket for the aftermarket oil cooler, setting the rear brake bias valve, the clutch biting point is too low, the starter motor (despite being new) only works intermittently, and there's an odd rattling noise from the gearbox when the engine's running...it stops when I press the clutch so it would suggest a clutch release bearing problem but that's brand spanker too?!
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 am

So, to expand on the "she runs!!" post above...on Saturday morning just gone I set about fixing the remaining oil & fuel leaks.  Starting with fitting the new oil-cooler, complete with adapters to convert an -10 to 1/2" bsp;

Ready to fit:

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 SAM_2867_zpsd11f427c

No photos of it fitted as yet but all is now oil-tight Smile

To fix the fuel leak I came up with a temporary work-around using a length of fuel hose and an M14 90 degree fitting to link between the FPR and fuel rail.  Running the fuel pump to pressurise the rail showed no more leaks Smile

And so THE time came, after 2 years and countless hours of work, to turn her over and see if she would fire/run.  I took a few deep breaths, double checked everything I could think of, and started the camera rolling. (click to play)

First attempt:

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 Th_SAM_2880_zpsc5c4ea61

Promising...

Second attempt:

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 Th_SAM_2881_zpsf0c06975

"Happy" doesn't cover it!  I was convinced there would be an electrical issue of some sort, either the AFM, ignition coil, one of the ECU's, that would prevent her from firing up but thankfully not.  I laid awake until 3:20am on Friday night fretting about the first fire-up attempt that would follow the next day so the sense of relief when she started was immense Smile

I left her running for 10 mins or so to check that the thermostat opened at the right point and the fan cut in (which they did) and took another video in the process:

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 Th_SAM_2875_zps81fd42ae

Runs sweet Smile

Last edited by jas_racing on Thu May 08, 2014 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts Thu May 08, 2014 11:16 am

nice cant wait for the day mines ready to fire up
robr33gts
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunc Thu May 08, 2014 6:06 pm

Awesome! I too cant wait to fire mine up!

Dunc
Dunc
Dunc
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Steve Raider Tue May 13, 2014 8:28 am

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!  thumbsup 

Be ready for the 1/4 mile before you know it... see if you can catch me  lol! 

Yes this is me & Jas back in the day...  Laughing 
Big Steve Raider
Big Steve Raider
1st gear
1st gear

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 Tue May 13, 2014 9:10 am

What times did you get Steve?
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Tue May 13, 2014 9:50 am

charliemk1 wrote:What times did you get Steve?
Nooooo don't encourage him...it was unfortunately one of those rare days when the timing system at Santa Pod failed completely and no times were recorded...at all...none whatsoever...

And in a completely unrelated way I must insist that this thread be kept strictly on-topic from here on in tongue
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by richvans Tue May 13, 2014 10:20 am

Good work, such a relief when a new engine starts, especially after assembling it yourself  Very Happy 

Mines upto 400 miles now still on running in oil, at 500 miles i'll retorque the head, change to semi synthetic, up the boost from 0.7 bar

Charlie get the app called Qmilet, its got a gps 1/4 mile and 0-60 timer LOL, its fun! let us know ya times!
richvans
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Tue May 13, 2014 7:15 pm

richvans wrote:Mines upto 400 miles now still on running in oil, at 500 miles i'll retorque the head, change to semi synthetic, up the boost from 0.7 bar
Out of curiosity how will you retorque the head?
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by richvans Tue May 13, 2014 8:44 pm

I've got a few little things to change, a forge 1 bar actuator, so the manifold needs to come off. I've also got a small oil weep (the only leak) from the bottom of the cam box, so that needs to come off. So while its all off i'll just nip up the head bolts, they might not need anything but some people recommend it.

I've booked a trackday in July so need to get on with it! Pretty pleased with it so far, with the addition of a fast road piper cam and standard Hybrid turbo its got minimal lag.
richvans
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by doody Fri May 16, 2014 11:30 pm

this has come on so much since I was last on here. think you were fitting brake pipes the last time I looked.
doody
doody
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Steve Raider Wed May 28, 2014 10:55 am

Chooooooooop Chop Chop with the updates Jas, these guys need to see the latest Very Happy
Big Steve Raider
Big Steve Raider
1st gear
1st gear

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 Wed May 28, 2014 12:15 pm

I still want to know how quick your car is Steve, as the only R5t's I have had the misfortune of driving are not in the same league as an Uno Turbo
charliemk1
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Steve Raider Sat May 31, 2014 3:44 am

charliemk1 wrote:I still want to know how quick your car is Steve, as the only R5t's I have had the misfortune of driving are not in the same league as an Uno Turbo    

LMAO... JAS is just going to LOOOOOVE this  Laughing pirat 

So I've managed to have a dig round and find the ACTUAL timing slips from that day when Jas and I raced our cars at Pod... together with a picture of us lining up waiting for our run:

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 DSCF0057

And one of the runs itself:

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 DSCF0053

So on to the results..

Mk1 Minter - Page 6 Capture-1

It looks like my fastest time in my stock 5 was 15.074 on Oct 28th 2007 at Shakespere Raceway.  Cool
Big Steve Raider
Big Steve Raider
1st gear
1st gear

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Sat May 31, 2014 9:14 am

Big Steve Raider wrote:

It looks like my fastest time in my stock 5 was 15.074 on Oct 28th 2007 at Shakespere Raceway.  Cool

*Ahem* "stock"??
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing Sat May 31, 2014 9:15 am

charliemk1 wrote:the only R5t's I have had the misfortune of driving are not in the same league as an Uno Turbo
Couldn't have put it better myself! tongue
jas_racing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next