Top or bottom?

Go down

Top or bottom?

Post by jas_racing on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Big weekend for me coming up - engine & gearbox is going in on my mk1, but the question is shall I lower it in from the top or lift it in from underneath? What do you guys recommend or advise from experience?
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top or bottom?

Post by Chas Uno on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 pm

jas_racing wrote:Big weekend for me coming up - engine & gearbox is going in on my mk1, but the question is shall I lower it in from the top or lift it in from underneath? What do you guys recommend or advise from experience?

100% from underneath. It's much easier that way as the nearside engine/ transmission mounts go into position better when raised into place. Raise the front of the car, slide engine/ transmission underneath, lower the car, then use a hoist to raise the engine/ transmission up to mounting points. Fit the offside (cambelt end) engine mount first - it 'hooks' onto the mount on the chassis rail/ inner wing, then the engine/ transmission unit can be swivelled and the two gearbox mounts will fall into place as you raise the transmission end with a jack.

It's even possible to fit the engine without a hoist this way! With the front suspension/ hubs removed the front of the car can be lowered enough that you can hook the off side engine mount into position, then use jacks to raise the gearbox mounts into position. Not recommended to do it this way it you have a pristine engine and transmission and you don't want to scratch the sump/ gearbox.

Hope this helps.

P.S. when you fit your downpipe to exhaust manifold, let me know what nuts you use as I'm having problems with mine (see post in this section I made yesterday).
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Louie on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:37 pm

I Lifted the front end with a high lift jack, had the engine on a dolley and wheeled it in under a wheel arch.

If you got a top change box watch the selectors don’t snag the firewall – think I removed one to help.

I just lowered the car and bolted the mounts up with the engine on the dolley.

I May have had to remove the engine mount bracket from the engine, mount it to the car first, the bolt it back to the engine.

Good luck!!
Louie
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:38 am

Thanks guys - I was leaning towards going in from the bottom (oo-er) so you've confirmed it for me Smile

I've got a sizeable engine crane so was thinking I'd lift the front end of the car up with that, then slide the engine & 'box in, lower the car & use the same crane to lift the engine & 'box up onto its mountings.  Louie's reminded me I've got a little trolley that I made to wheel the bodyshell on before all the suspension was fitted so I might use that to roll the engine in, assuming it doesn't make it all too tall (not sure how high I can get the front end of the car).

Chas - I was intending to use serrated flange nuts on my downpipe-to-turbo elbow connection as that's what it had on originally but reading your post yesterday made me question my wisdom...time will tell I guess!

Last edited by jas_racing on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:42 am

Oh, and yes it's a top-change box and I REALLY don't want to snag my pristine new OE foil bulkhead cover/heatshield so I'm leaving as much off the engine & 'box as possible until it's bolted in place in the engine bay!
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunc on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Agreed....in the bottom is always a winner!  Shocked  Surprised 

Smed and i have tried it both ways many many times! We find the bottom easiest! 

Laughing  Laughing 

Dunc
Dunc
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:11 am

Dunc wrote:Agreed....in the bottom is always a winner!  Shocked  Surprised 

Smed and i have tried it both ways many many times! We find the bottom easiest! 

Laughing
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintys-turbo-mk1 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 am

Went in the bottom way with the lancia engine and when in a treat.
Mintys-turbo-mk1
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunc on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:15 am

Mintys-turbo-mk1 wrote:Went in the bottom way with the lancia engine and when in a treat.

Miss Lancia Engine sounds a right slag! Can i have her number??!

Dunc
Dunc
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:07 am

Engine & box went in through the bottom at the weekend, much easier than I expected so was defo the way to go. Thanks guys!

Later that night I asked Mrs Jas Racing if I could apply the same technique with her but she said no Sad Wink
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Steve Raider on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:45 am

jas_racing wrote:Later that night I asked Mrs Jas Racing if I could apply the same technique with her but she said no SadWink

Back nineeeeeeee............
 What a Face 
Big Steve Raider
1st gear
1st gear

View user profile http://www.rtoc.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: