Mk1 Minter

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mk1 Minter

Post by jas_racing on Fri May 24, 2013 9:41 am

On a different but related note, can anyone advise:

1). Where does the Bosch injection ECU mount? Above the pedals under the right hand side of the dash? And if so does the loom travel from there, through the bulkhead on the offside, then across the top of the engine left-to-right?

2). Does the main engine bay loom split two ways after passing through the bulkhead on the nearside? i.e. a part of it runs behind the bulkhead heat shield over to the offside chassis rail/leg and the other part run down the nearside chassis rail/leg?

Ta!
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts on Fri May 24, 2013 9:52 am

yes mate spot on the ecu mounts to the right of the pedals on its bracket that mounts on the lip thats there then the loom goes throught the oval hole and accross the engine and the engine loom sounds right to me thats if my memory serves me correct
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 am

robr33gts wrote:yes mate spot on the ecu mounts to the right of the pedals on its bracket that mounts on the lip thats there then the loom goes throught the oval hole and accross the engine and the engine loom sounds right to me thats if my memory serves me correct
Cool, thanks dude Smile I have zero recollection of the exact routing of the looms on my original Uno back in the day, and as I didn't take this one apart either I was scratching my head somewhat...
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:51 am

Update time Smile

Over the last few weeks I've been mainly reworking the wiring looms but before I get onto that I've also finished the airbox refurb.

After MANY coats of filler primer and rubbing down it had a couple of coats of aerosol POR-15:

I wasn't happy with the (lack of) gloss finish so after another light rub-down I top-coated with a couple of coats of gloss black:

Finished (with rubbed down and repainted clips):

Fitted to the car:

Wiper motor and (new) arm fitted: (arm had an additional couple of coats of satin black for extra protection)

Managed to source a new OE rear bumper, can you guess which one it is in the pic?

Fitted to the car with new number plate light:

Ignition loom after overhaul:

FI loom finished and trial-fitted to the car:

I've added an additional relay to support the elderly Bosch FI relay (takes the switched O/P for the fuel pump):

The main engine bay loom before I started was an utter mess - covered in gunk, numerous missing connectors and a lot of the wires badly corroded along their full length. I set about cutting out and replacing all the bad wires and connectors as well as integrating the additional wiring for the alarm & central locking, electric window & headlight relay mods and wiring for the digital boost gauge. I've also installed the immobiliser relay roughly as per the factory fit option, plus a couple of other secret immobilising features. I wanted the loom to look all-original with all additional wiring integrated such that it looks like it came out of the factory that way. All connectors were soldered for extra security. Took MANY hours to do...

During:

All the cables I cut out:

Finished article (shiny bits are wrapped in self-amalgamating tape):

Next jobs are to reinstall the looms, then move onto finishing installing the brakes and fuel system Smile

jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintys-turbo-mk1 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 am

looks the nuts top work:D I'll send you my lancia engine loom Wink as you've done a great job.
Mintys-turbo-mk1
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:33 am

Excellent work mate.. What does the good lady say about all this OCD stuff?
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vern on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Love that air box looks great.
vern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:27 pm

charliemk1 wrote:Excellent work mate.. What does the good lady say about all this OCD stuff?
She says that if I wasn‘t so keen on attention to detail I wouldn't be such an attentive and accomplished lover...or something like that.
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Mintys-turbo-mk1 wrote:looks the nuts top work:D I'll send you my lancia engine loom Wink as you've done a great job.
Thanks! I spent dozens of hours on the main engine bay loom but it was worth it as it's like new now & should prove reliable in service. I had to do something with it anyway as there was no chance of things working properly as it was, such was its poor state...reading through the previous owner's notebook there were various electrical problems with the car and it's no wonder!
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunc on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:06 pm

absolutly awesome work! VERY impressed!

love a bit of OCD!

Dunc
Dunc
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:27 pm

jas_racing wrote:
charliemk1 wrote:Excellent work mate.. What does the good lady say about all this OCD stuff?
She says that if I wasn‘t so keen on attention to detail I wouldn't be such an attentive and accomplished lover...or something like that.

In your dreams mate.. lol
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:37 am

Productive weekend with refitting the wiring looms into the car and testing of as much of the electrical systems as I could. All lights work, including the headlight relay mods, plus the indicators, tail lights, brake lights, etc, so it's so far so good. Also tested the digital dash and I'm delighted to report that the modifications to make the digital boost gauge work have been successful Smile Took a little vid, off camera I'm blowing into a pipe connected to the port on the top of the Microplex ecu to simulate a little pressure:

It would appear that my lungs can only generate 0.2bar of boost!
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:54 am

Does anyone know where this goes/what it does?
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 am

jas_racing wrote:Does anyone know where this goes/what it does?

Looks like the sandwich plate for the front gearbox mounting?
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:21 am

Chas Uno wrote:

Looks like the sandwich plate for the front gearbox mounting?

thats what i thought at first but arent they completly round
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:36 am

Chas Uno wrote:Looks like the sandwich plate for the front gearbox mounting?
It's not that, I have that still attached to the mount/gearbox and it's completely round. I wondered if the one pictured above is something to do with the bar that bolts across the original towing-eyes as in the following pic?
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 am

where did you find your new rear bumper mate could do with one for mine as some of the mounting brackets are damaged
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Uno on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:11 am

jas_racing wrote:
Chas Uno wrote:Looks like the sandwich plate for the front gearbox mounting?
It's not that, I have that still attached to the mount/gearbox and it's completely round.  I wondered if the one pictured above is something to do with the bar that bolts across the original towing-eyes as in the following pic?

I wonder if it's the washer for bolting the bottom of the UT tow hook? If I recall, there is a bolt that connects the top of the UT tow hook to the inner wing, and the bottom part of the tow hook fits in the hole of the original (non Turbo) tow hook, which is part of the inner wing pressing and fitted to ALL Uno models? As the bottom part fits within the original tow hook it might need a concave washer to bolt up?
Chas Uno
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Biz on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Mate the car looks amazing! Keep it up.

Remember there is no rush if you can do it properly and to a high standard.
Biz
3rd gear
3rd gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:27 am

Chas Uno wrote:I wonder if it's the washer for bolting the bottom of the UT tow hook? If I recall, there is a bolt that connects the top of the UT tow hook to the inner wing, and the bottom part of the tow hook fits in the hole of the original (non Turbo) tow hook, which is part of the inner wing pressing and fitted to ALL Uno models? As the bottom part fits within the original tow hook it might need a concave washer to bolt up?

I'm going to have another look at the weekend, you could well be right. I've still got various parts that I don't know where they go but I'll work them all out eventually.
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:29 am

Biz wrote:Mate the car looks amazing! Keep it up.

Remember there is no rush if you can do it properly and to a high standard.
Thanks Smile There's no rush, if it's on the road for next summer that'll do.
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by st1allstar on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:28 am

whats your plans for the engine? are you keeping it completely standard?
st1allstar
Over boosting
Over boosting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:49 am

The only mods will be an adjustable actuator (set to 1 bar), an uprated panel air filter and Forge recirculating dump valve. I'm not after performance with this Uno, got my Coupé for that Wink
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Biz on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 am

My mk1 engine (in my mk2) ran very well at 1bar. Yeah just enjoy it!
Biz
3rd gear
3rd gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:22 am

Update time again!

Refurbed handbrake lever is now fitted:

Dug out the 'new' rear calipers that came with the car:

Odd how one was painted gold, the other just bare metal?! Didn't matter anyway as I was painting them with POR-15 + a coat of black Hammerite.

Finished rear caliper, ready to fit: (new slider pins and refurbed carrier bracket plus I replaced the mild steel bleed nipples with stainless ones)

Front calipers are the original (heavily corroded) ones that I had shot-blasted, then I painted them with POR-15 + Hammerite, and fitted new seals, (Bigg Red) pistons and stainless bleed nipples. Again the carrier brackets are the originals refurbed and fitted with new slider pins. Finished article:

Full suite ready to fit (new flexi hoses too):

A front, fitted to car: (ignore the rusty disc, that's only temporary)

Hydraulic connection made:

Ever wondered what a mk1 Uno would look like with 16" alloys from a Coupé fitted?

The little steel wheels I've had on the car (from a Cinquecento) don't fit over the calipers so I had to find something else to fit, and a spare set of Coupé alloys was my best option Smile

A rear, fitted to the car:

Finished off fitting/connecting all the rigid brake pipes:

Connected up at the master cylinder end:

After this I fitted the reservoir, filled it with DOT4 and asked Mrs_jas_racing to lend a hand (or rather a foot) to fill and bleed the system. Unfortunately this didn't start well - as soon as she pressed the brake pedal fluid leaked out of several connections despite them being, to my mind, tight...I was stumped to begin with but after a bit of thought I decided to really tighten the connections, and the leaks were gone. It seems that having used copper-nickel pipe, which isn't as soft as normal copper pipe, it needs a LOT more torque to compress and form a good seal. Lesson learned there! After this it was just a normal bleeding procedure, with 3 goes around each corner giving air-bubble free fluid. All 4 calipers appear to work perfectly on the foot brake, with the pedal feeling quite firm/positive, although the handbrake on the rear-left doesn't seem to be fully functional. No reason why it shouldn't work, given that it's a 'new' caliper, but I'll investigate it further at some point when the handbrake cable is properly connected. For now though it seems like a big step forward to have a brake system installed and working Smile

Fuel tank/system next! (Got a new tank that I've painted with POR-15 and is ready to fit but haven't got a photo as yet)

Smile
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top