Mk1 Minter

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mk1 Minter

Post by jas_racing on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:48 am

**Started this project thread last April but hadn't updated it since May so thought I'd re-write and add to it on here as I've done a fair bit to it since then**

Bought the 'car' via eBay - advertised as a "fully restored bodyshell with parts to reassemble". After investigating it appears the chap had bought it in 1996 as a running car but it had issues, namely electrical, engine, gearbox and rust. He stripped it in 1997, the body was restored by a local classic car restoration place and completed in 2000, but then was returned to the owner and stored for 12 years or so without anything being done to it until I came along. The owner had bought a HEAP of new OE parts (new front bumper, seat covers, rear brake calipers, engine bay heat shield, front fogs, decal kit, dozens of clips, connectors and fasteners to name but a few). The bodyshell had a new bonnet, both doors, front panel, inner wings, chassis legs, sills, floors, inner & outer rear arches and rear-panel. It was then treated to an inside-and-out paint job.

As I bought it:

In-situ on my drive:

Inside:

Engine bay:

Initially I spent my spare time & free weekends building a car port to put her under but then expected to be able to crack on putting her back together. However, despite me thinking otherwise when I had a poke around under the rear of the car it turned out that this "fully restored" bodyshell had a fair bit of surface rust. Upon further investigation it seems that the rear end was still sporting the original factory-applied underseal and the restoration place had done (seemingly) nothing to strip or reapply it. I therefore spent many, many hours lying on my back scraping and brushing all effected areas. I was concerned at first that some of it would need welding but despite getting into literally every nook & cranny there was nothing more than surface rust, with nothing perforated or rusted through. I therefore took all effected areas back to bare metal then treated with POR-15 (clean/prep/paint) then topped off with 2 coats of waxoyl.

During:

After:
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mk1 Minter

Post by jas_racing on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:12 am

The jacking points needed treating too:

Floors are totally solid otherwise (it seems that the old jacking points were welded to the new floors and cover in underseal without any pre-treatment).

The inside of the (new) front wings that had just started bubbling up:

These were treated & POR-15'd...never figured why bodyshops seem to miss such detail when painting a car? The thin black coating that comes on new panels has virtually zero corrosion resistance yet most bodyshops seem to paint only the outside Question Even areas of minor corrosion bother me greatly so I figured it was best to spend as much time as was needed getting everything 100%. Whilst sorting the rear floor and chassis rails I filled every cavity, the sills, front chassis rails, inside the rear arches, etc, with 2 coats of Dinitrol. This car won't ever be used in the rain but just in case I want to be sure it's well protected, even if it took me several months to achieve!

Rear arches looking good: (note that the car is sitting on a home-made trolley at this point)

FINALLY I got on to actually bolting something back on the car - (new) rear top strut mounts:

Plan of attack was to refit the rear suspension and rear beam. I bought a full set of new -40mm lower dampers & springs:

Old vs. new:

However, I wasn't happy with the dampers being yellow so rubbed them down & painted them a more 'tasteful' satin black:

Rear springs with refurbed caps/rubber mounts:

Rear beam had already been powder-coated by the previous owner so it was just a matter of assembling with new bushes & refurbed brackets:
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vern on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:23 am

Awesome work mate she will be mint when finished, what's the plans for the engine ?
vern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:24 am

Mounting to car:

Original bump stops fitted within new springs:

Dampers attached:

New hubs/bearings:

Temporary steel wheels fitted:

Back on terra-firma on two wheels at long last: Smile

Moving to the front I bought new wishbones & anti-roll bar mounts but wasn't happy with their lack of corrosion protection so rubbed them down & painted them with numerous coats of aerosol Hammerite:

With rubbed down & POR-15'd brackets:

jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:38 am

New front dampers painted satin black:

Top mounts needed a bit of work:

New OE bearings added:

Assembled & ready to fit:

Front hubs looked pretty rough to start with but actually turned out very nicely:

Cleaned up & rubbed down:

Ready for POR-15ing:

Painted: (I added 2 coats of aerosol Hammerite after this)

New SKF bearings fitted:

Front inner hubs/flanges needed tarting up:

New front subframe has been powder-coated:

Assembly off-car:

Stripped & re-painted ARB added:

Bolting whole lot to car:

jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:46 am

Adding hub & damper:

Wheel on:

Other side:

Back down on 4 wheels: Very Happy

I've also refurbed the brake compensator valve housing (brand new valve):

All fasteners are stainless and in some cases custom-made/special order in high-tensile stainless where needed Cool

That's all for now, moving onto the brakes next (new copper-nickel pipes have been made) although I have also just about finished refurbing the fuel pump cradle. Will try to update a bit more often from now on!
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:52 am

vern wrote:Awesome work mate she will be mint when finished, what's the plans for the engine ?
Thanks and the engine will be standard other than a Forge recirculating dump valve, I've got my Coupé 20VT for speed purposes Wink
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:08 am

top work mate she will b like new makes me want to crack on with mine even more would love to see this Very Happy
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hakydan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 am

Lovely attention to detail, trust me, it takes a while but the results are defo worth it. Im nearing the end of my now 2 year build and I still walk out of the garage with a huge smile on my face. Well done Smile
hakydan
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unograle on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 am

Great to see this thread revived Jase, TOP MAN !!! Very Happy

Loving the attention to detail, your shell deserves nothing less mate.
Unograle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gtirx2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 am

Looking good mate,i do enjoy seeing them come together like this and look forward to the future updates Cool

Thats the trouble with these cars they do hide there rot well, especially if someones been there before you.
Looks like you have caught it in time though as leaving that hiding under there is asking for trouble.

I can also appreciate the work involved in cleaning that area up aswell,proberly one of the most fiddly and time comsuming parts on the car,well worth the effort though and it looks to have came out sweet Smile .
The other place worth checking if you have not already is all the way along the back of the inner sills,if its still in it original underseal it might be worth just stripping it off along there each side and redoing it.

Parts are coming out great,you guys get on much better with the hammerite than i do Crying or Very sad ,i may try the aerosols next time as the finish looks really good compared to what i end up with it looking like with a brush Laughing

View user profile http://fiatunoturboowners.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks for the comments guys Smile

It's taking a lot longer than I thought, especially as I only really work on it every other weekend when my daughter's not with me, but I'd rather take my time if it means a top job in the long run. I've not stopped even in the cold weather though, just wrapped up warm with a hat & mechanics gloves. My general aim is to get everything except the engine & 'box done before next winter, then work on them over the winter ready to drop in and (hopefully) fire up spring 2014!

Even with the brand new parts (such as the wishbones, track rod ends, etc) I'm not comfortable just bolting them on as is, so I've been painting them up to try and stop them rusting in the long run. Not that it will affect their performance or safety in service necessarily, but I don't want to take a wheel off one day and see some bits still nice and shiny but others rusting.

gtirx2 - the back of the inner sills are sorted mate, all solid & very well protected. And yeah all those nooks and crannies under the back end are ridiculously fiddly, I lost count of how many hours I spent laying under it, often 'til midnight! There were times when I got pretty cheesed off with doing it but I'm glad I did. Aerosol Hammerite comes out very thick and only gives good results if applied very lightly in multiple coats then hung somewhere warm to cure I've found.

It was quite a moment when I lowered it off the jack and onto 4 wheels for what was probably the first time in 15 years! Just ordered some stainless steel split-pins for the handbrake pulley wheel Laughing
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by charliemk1 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Very nice nut and bolt job mate.. The only way to do it properly I think
charliemk1
Uno Veteran
Uno Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richvans on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:21 am

Top Job man, gona be a nice build to follow Very Happy do like the mk1's

I see you polybushed the anti roll bar, this made a massive difference on mine reducing body roll, leaving new rubbers on the other bushes will make it less harsh ride - good plan as it'll be too nice to risk on a track !
richvans
4th gear
4th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 am

richvans wrote:I see you polybushed the anti roll bar, this made a massive difference on mine reducing body roll, leaving new rubbers on the other bushes will make it less harsh ride - good plan as it'll be too nice to risk on a track !

Erm...I didn't have much option as I couldn't find the right standard rubber bushes for the inner ARB mounts so just went for Superflex ones in the end Embarassed

I didn't want to use polybushes for the rear beam either but again I couldn't find any standard rubber ones until after the Powerflex ones had arrived in the post Rolling Eyes
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:08 pm

OK, in the spirit of regular updates...

I stumbled across an issue the other day in terms of the rear hubs/wheel bearings - in the pile of parts that came with the car were a brand spanker pair in their boxes so I assumed they were the right ones but upon trial fitting the caliper brackets I quickly realised they weren't. It seems that the previous owner fell into the trap of being told that all Uno's use the same ones when they don't. After a scout around the 'net I found that only First Line list the turbo ones as a different part from all other Uno's and 68mm deep not 62mm. Thankfully I found some of the right ones for a mere £14 each online.

A quick rub-down, mask and ready for spraying (being bare metal there's no way they were going on as-is):

Done: (in silver Hammerite)

Some brackets I rubbed down, rust treated & POR-15'd a couple of weekend's ago: (are they intercooler related?)

Fuel pump cradle is coming along - started off looking pretty grotty:

Had to use an angle grinder with a 1mm thick cutting disc to get the old rubber mounts & weld-nuts off. Brackets were rubbed down, rust treated, POR-15'd then top-coated with Hammerite (aerosol):

Bought new rubber mounts, pump, pipe, primary filter, stainless fasteners and (of course) stainless jubilee clips:

Bracket assembled:

Pump & filter in-situ (still need to put a rubber strap around the fuel pump clamp):

Passenger side top strut mount/plate is looking much better after a bit of work:

New front brake shields came in the pile of parts with the car but again I wasn't happy with the lack of corrosion protection so they were rubbed down & painted with 4 coats of Hammerite black (aerosol):

I've also started on refurbishing the rear window hinges/latches: (metal parts will be painted satin black)

Bought new stainless screws to put them back together with and secure the triangular plate to the C-pillar but have painted the heads satin black so as not to stand out:

That's all for now Smile
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:37 am

the bracket mate are like you say the top two in the pic are intercooler the bottom right oil cooler not sure bout bottom left maybe oil cooler to but my oil cooler bolted one side to the same bracket as the intercooler and the other side was the same as the bottom right bracket
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 am

robr33gts wrote:the bracket mate are like you say the top two in the pic are intercooler the bottom right oil cooler not sure bout bottom left maybe oil cooler to but my oil cooler bolted one side to the same bracket as the intercooler and the other side was the same as the bottom right bracket
Thanks dude Smile It's funny, as I didn't strip the car some of the parts in the many boxes are a mystery to me so I just pick them out, clean/treat/paint 'em then put them to one side thinking "I'll figure out what that does or where it goes at some point in the future". Looking at photos of other Uno's is helping a lot too! Cool
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 am

im like that some times and i striped mine lol its a bit worrying at times my memory is really bad tho just hope i can remember when i come to rebuild it
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 pm

where did you find the standard rear beam bushes mate been looking for some for ages
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:46 am

robr33gts wrote:where did you find the standard rear beam bushes mate been looking for some for ages
Try:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VECO-REAR-SUSPENSION-BUSH-INNER-RC50056P-TO-FIT-FIAT-UNO-1-3-83-92-OE-QUALITY-/300748053532?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AUno&hash=item4605fb1c1c

or

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QH-REAR-CONTROL-ARM-TRAILING-ARM-BUSH-INNER-RC519231P-TO-FIT-FIAT-UNO-1-3-85-89-/370650768928?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AUno&hash=item564c81e620

Smile
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robr33gts on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:04 am

cheers mate more expensive than i thought tho might go for powerflex ones after all
robr33gts
Over boosting
Over boosting

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:48 am

Yeah if you're not concerned with staying OE then the purple Powerflex versions are better value as they're more or less the same price but perform considerably better in service
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:24 am

Hi Guys,

Another update for y'all - nothing major mind, what with the weather being so lousy I've not been able to take any major steps forward as I'd hoped but plenty of little bits & pieces done:

Finished of the rear window catch & screws (I had to buy M3.5 screws & nuts to replace the rivet pins I'd drilled out then paint 'em satin black) -

Assembled & fitted -

Refurbed front shock top plates fitted -

I also discovered that the new rear hubs that came with the car were wrong as they are non-turbo, so after a bit of searching I found some correct turbo ones & ordered them. Pic shows non-turbo on the left, turbo (painted up ready to fit) on the right -

I set to work on the rusty & gunky steering rack -

Rack cleaned up & ready for painting (I did also strip, clean & regrease the rack internals but have no photos) -

Painted & reassembled with new rack ends, track rod ends & gaitors -

Rack/gear linkage bracket took a bit of cleaning up and the little swivel cranks were seized solid initially but it all looks good now after a couple of coats of POR-15 then 2 more of Hammerite aerosol -
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_racing on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 am

Cleaned, rubbed down & painted the servo & steering column -

Also painted the new master cylinder & mated it with the servo -

Caliper carriers/brackets are finished & ready to fit after a rub down & paint (with POR-15) -

Intake pipes rubbed down, primed within an inch of their lives, rubbed down again then treated to 4 coats of 'tough' gloss black -

Very pleased with how these have turned out, given their prominence in the engine bay Smile

I decided that the scuttle panel & pillars needed painting again so did so with satin black then I could fit the windscreen -

Fitted the interior bulkhead insulation panel (steering column/shaft is also fitted in this pic) -

New front brake shields fitted -

Heater box fitted (I also screwed on the top center console but it'll be off again at some point to be cleaned up properly) -

I've also fitted new boot & front door seals plus the window seals & guides (but didn't take any photos) so the car is now effectively water tight.

That's all for now, I'm currently working on refurbing the gear linkage & handbrake lever/mount then next up is the pedal box/beam assembly Smile
jas_racing
5th gear
5th gear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top